Friday, August 28, 2015

Favorite Princeton Spots

Only just recently in the past few years did I learn to really appreciate Princeton for everything it has to offer. I've lived outside of Princeton my whole life, and sort of took it for granted. The shopping, the 5 star restaurants, the events, the ice cream! There's a million things to do, and more! If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend walking around the town and seeing the sights. Make a day trip out of it! My favorite part of the sleepy yet bustling town, is all the little nooks and crannies. Adorable hidden alleyways lead to restaurants, shops, and penthouse apartments. As someone who's been familiar with Princeton for 17 years now, here's my recommendations: 


To Eat: 

La Mezzaluna: Hands down my favorite restaurant in Princeton (and maybe ever?). It's a really beautiful Italian restaurant with a gourmet twist. The menu is small, so it's not like one of those "how do I choose something" restaurants. Everything is fresh, locally grown, and delicious. My favorite dish there is the chicken marinara (like a fancier chicken parm). And don't even get me started on the chocolate fritters they serve for dessert! Boy, are they amazing. 


Teresa's: Another great Italian restaurant, and definitely the most Instagrammable! It's great for a cute lunch date out on the terrace, or a swanky date night inside. Delicious pasta and pizza await. The restaurant, like La MezzLuna, is also on the higher end/gourmet scale of Italian food.

Mediterra: a super fancy restaurant with an amazing Mediterranean menu (hence the name). I always went here as a kid with my parents! They changed the menu a couple years back and we've only been once or twice since, but I hear it's gotten even better. 

Agricola: A relatively new restaurant that I haven't tried yet- but it's on the top of my list! I hear the food is to die for. It's all fresh, organic greens and natural ingredients. Sign me up! 

Halo Pub: If you live in the Princeton area, you know that everyone is split into thirds in terms of ice cream preferences. There's the Halo Pub goers (that's me), The Bent Spoon ravers, and Thomas Sweets addicts. Everyone has the one ice cream place they will always be loyal to! I adore Halo Pub. I truly think they have the best ice cream in town. Far better than the Bent Spoon! Thomas Sweets is a close second, but Halo Pub simply has that natural, home-made, creamy deliciousness I crave. 




PJ's Pancake House: A classic Princeton watering hole that's been there for AGES. It's really, really good comfort food. I find myself drifting there for a stack of pancakes sometimes in the middle of the day. But I can also never say no to their grilled cheese and fries!

Terramomo Bread Company: The closest thing to a bakery in France! I love their baguettes, they're seriously amazing. The store is tucked away towards the beginning of Witherspoon street. The inside is tiny, but the food payoff is huge. They also have perfectly fluffy croissants!

Olives: A really great little lunch "to go" place. They make a mean tomato and mozzarella panini! There's so many different options: soups, pastas, sandwiches, salads... All made fresh right in front of you to order. They also have a bakery by the checkout line, so you can get dessert along with your sandwich! 

Conte's Pizzeria: This one is right outside downtown Princeton, but has a special place in my heart. I'm not even joking, this will be the best thin crust pizza you'll ever eat! The tiny dive is in an old, mundane building. Sure the place isn't the newest, cleanest, or most charming restaurant around, but it has some pretty good pizza. Don't ask for a menu, there's only a few things on it. Pizza, meatballs, and 1 kind of salad (ice berg lettuce & a tomato) are your options. Hands down my favorite spot for pizza! 

Thomas Sweets: Now, there's two locations of Thomas Sweets in Princeton. One is the ice cream shop, and the other is the chocolate/candy shop. I personally love the chocolate shop, because I never really had a need to go all the way to the ice cream location down Nassau Street (I mean, Halo Pub?!). It was a real treat when my mom bought me and my sister a candy fruit slice! 

Lindt Chocolate: Pretty much the best chocolate you will ever consume, guys. Better than Thomas Sweets, this chocolate comes right from Switzerland. The milk chocolate and hazelnut truffles are my actual weakness. I may or may not have a rewards card that currently has 2,300 points on it!!! (Not ashamed). 

Other favorites include: Yankee Doodle Tap Room, Panera, Witherspoon Grill, 30 Burgers, Starbucks, The Alchemist and Barrister



To Shop: 
Palm Place
JCrew 
Ann Taylor 
Brooks Brothers 
Ralph Lauren 
Kate Spade 
J. Mclaughlin
Barbour
Lululemon 
Blue Mercury 
Origins
Alex and Ani 
Paper Source
Labyrinth Books

To See: 
Grounds of Princeton University
Palmer Square
Live music at Halo Pub 
Princeton University Art Museum (always worth a walk-through)
Hamilton Jewelers 
Carnegie Lake 
Funhouse mirror inside Thomas Sweets 

To Do: 
Night time walking ghost tour around the University (so fun & creepy!) 
Movie night at Princeton Garden Theatre 
Communiversity (once a year, like a street fair)
P-Rade (also once a year, a fun parade & celebration) 

Around: 
Peddler's Village 
Grounds For Sculpture (a must-see!)
Terhune Orchards
Hopewell 
Lambertville





Thanks for reading and see you soon! Xoxo, 
Ashley Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment