Saturday, June 13, 2015

Finals Study Tips

The number one thing on my mind right now? Getting an A on those finals! (Or getting at least a 41% to actually keep my A... roberhub.com is amazing guys) High school finals can be stressful, if you don't stay organized and on top of things. Throughout my years of studying for midterms/finals, I think I've finally perfected my study routine. I guess I'll dive right into it: 

Organization:

Teachers will usually give you a list of topics that will be on the final. If they don't, then just assume every chapter/unit you covered will be on the test! 2 weeks before the final, lay out all of your binders, notebooks, and worksheets. Categorize them according to subject and separate everything into the following categories: Tests, notes, worksheets. 

Tests- Use these as practice for the finals! Retake your old tests one by one, and make sure you fully understand the problems you got wrong. Go back over a unit whose test you didn't do so hot on. That way, you'll be sure to recognize the types of things you'll be tested on. More often than not, teachers will base the finals off of all the past tests given in that class. 

Notes- These are equally important to your old tests! Read back through your notes, and HIGHLIGHT the most important and relevant information. Don't highlight small details that are unlikely to show up on the test. Stick to the main points!! (I cannot stress this enough. No human can possibly remember every single detail they learned in a class. By remembering the basics, you have a better understanding of the material and therefore are more likely to remember it.) 

Worksheets- This mainly applies to math and science courses, but could possibly apply to something else. Look back through old worksheets and see if you remember how to do the problems. No need to do the whole worksheet, maybe one or two problems is best. 

Once all of your stuff is organized, make a study guide for each subject. Use mainly your notes to write down the overarching themes of each unit. I find it really helpful to make those study guides because actually writing down the information helps it to stick better in my brain. Add in a couple of example problems from the worksheets, then take the old test that goes with that specific unit! 

Most teachers will give you a review packet, with practice problems, and an overview of the year. Do not touch those packets until the days leading up to the exam. A few days before, complete the review packet as sort of a "final test" to see if you truly know the material. Also, if there's anything on the review packet you forgot to study, you can review that at this time too! 

Time Management:

It can also be very hard to prioritize and manage your time wisely. I created a small little timeline of events that should take place before the final. I follow this schedule typically every year, unless I have crazy amounts of work! (sort of like I do right now...) 

2 weeks before the test- organize papers, binders, and notebooks into categories 

2 weekends before the test- read through notes, highlight important material 

1 week before the test- start using the worksheets to do actual problems and practice 

The weekend before- make study guides, and study the stuff you've been practicing. Memorize formulas, vocab words, or theorums. Anything, really. 

A Few days before- complete review packet as a mock exam. Finish last minute studying, and relax! 

The night before- spend 20 minutes skimming over your study guide, then put it away. You know this material, and you got this! Get a good night's sleep, of at least 9 hours.

Day of- eat a healthy breakfast, check to make sure you have all testing essentials, get to school on time, and take the test! 

My Tips: 
  • Notecards are really helpful! Like I said before, getting it down on paper makes it stick like glue in your brain.
  • Stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water is key. Last summer, the week after finals I had a really scary moment. My body was so severely dehydrated that it shut down and I basically had a seizure. All because I wasn't drinking enough water! Please, please, please carry with you to the library, or keep in your room a refillable water bottle. Keep drinking, even if you're not thirsty- you'll thank me later! 
  • Get distractions out of the way. Put your phone on Do Not Disturb, so that no one can interrupt you when you're in the zone. One text leads to a tweet, which leads to an article, which leads to a youtube video, and eventually you're stalking your best friend's cousin on Instagram. (Just being real here guys.) Also (and this might be just a personal thing), I cannot listen to music when studying. I start to memorize the lyrics, not the formulas! If you need to, ask a parent or friend to guard your electronics and hold them "hostage" so that you absolutely cannot check them & can actually get work done. (This really works!!) 
  • Be disciplined. Stick to the schedule you created, and don't procrastinate. It doesn't do anything for you, and will only freak you out further. The only thing worse than being nervous for a test? Being nervous AND underprepared. 
  • That being said, take time to relax and de-stress. Give yourself a mani-pedi. Take an ice cream break with friends. Read for 30 minutes in between large chunks of studying. Do whatever it takes to divvy up the time in a way that is less stressful for you! I love painting my nails, and then letting them dry while flipping through flash cards. It's the ultimate multi-task! 

Phew! I think those are all the tips and tricks I have up my sleeve... For now. Sheesh, I can't even picture what college finals will be like for me. 

Hopefully these tips were helpful, and gave you an idea of where to begin! 

Do you have any study tips? 
Thanks for reading and see you soon! Xoxo, 

Ashley Ann 

No comments:

Post a Comment