Thursday, June 9, 2016

Travel Talk: Comprehensive Travel Tips

I've always loved traveling. Specifically, flying on planes. Most people hate going to the airport, going through security, waiting on lines, e.t.c. While that stuff can be a little irritating, I LOVE the airport. There's something exciting about heading off to a new destination that makes me happy every time. Don't even get me started on planes! I could sit on a plane for hours. I'm at my most productive when I'm in the air, with no interruptions and I have dedicated time to work.

I thought it was time to put together a comprehensive post with a whole bunch of random travel tips. Basically, stuff that makes my life a whole lot easier!

Packing: 



I do a lot of weekend trips, so a cute weekender bag is always necessary! I love this one from Tuckernuck. The canvas is pretty durable and the bag fits a TON inside. Seriously, when I went to the Bahamas I had four day and night outfits fit in there with room to spare. Also, the monogram is nice because it makes your bag easily identifiable.

A general rule of thumb when it comes to traveling for me: if I can, I always try to do a carry on suitcase. I've had the same suitcase for years and loved it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to something a little more chic like this. I get super nervous about the airline losing my bag, so bringing a carry-on suitcase makes me feel more comfortable.

Trying to stuff a whole bunch of stuff into your suitcase can be daunting. To fit everything, I:

via

  • pack by outfits (everything is stacked so that I can grab a whole outfit & be good to go)
  • line the perimeter of your suitcase with all your shoes 
  • stick jewelry or other small items into mini pouches- I have about 10 of these that I use specifically for traveling.
  • pack neutrals & things that can be mixed and matched- this cuts down on the amount of clothes you'll be bringing. Try to stick to one color scheme; I normally gravitate towards navy and white! 
  • roll what you can: tee shirts, sweatpants, leggings, sweaters... e.t.c. 
  • use tissue paper to separate delicates & stuff you don't want to wrinkle (fold these things instead of rolling) 

Here's what I would pack in a typical toilettries bag:


Cleanser // Moisturizing Cleanser // Day & Night Cream (my skin gets really dry on planes, this stuff instantly hydrates my face) // Makeup Remover Wipes (easier to pack than liquids & they're TSA-friendly) //  Specialized "Problem" Moisturizer // Toothbrush // Toothpaste // Deoderant // Vaseline Lip Therapy (I take these everywhere with me) // Drying Lotion // Face Mask // Face Oil

P.S. all of the products I mentioned above can be purchased in travel sizes! 

This is the bag I use as my carry-on (I'll be doing a more in-depth post sometime in future):



Airport Hacks:

What you'll need- identification, boarding pass, comfortable shoes that can be quickly taken off, snacks, blanket scarf

  • I usually fly Delta, so I downloaded the app onto my phone that lets you bring your boarding pass right up on the screen! So much more convenient & safer than losing a paper copy. 
  • Most airlines give you a complimentary beverage & snack on the plane- stock up on those especially if you have a connecting flight; you might get hungry later
  • Stay calm & collected- everyone is trying to get places, and there's no point in being rude or complaining. The TSA workers are doing their best to get you through security quickly, so appreciate that! 
  • Use a blanket scarf as an accessory while going through the airport, and as a blanket on the plane.
  • I like to arrive at least two hours early- I can't tell you how many times something has gone wrong and we made it just on time. Giving yourself that extra time cushion makes you less frazzled and keeps the anxiety at bay. 
  • Wear slip on shoes & ankle socks so you won't have to walk on the dirty floor barefoot during security checks. 
Skincare: 

Keeping your skin hydrated is the most important thing! My skin is already dry, and the cabin air doesn't do me any favors. This is my favorite cream to use at night when I get to the hotel after a long day of flying. Yes, it is for babies but since it contains oatmeal, your face will be extremely hydrated. This is the only thing that works on my skin when it's acting up- since the product is formulated for sensitive skin, it really helps get rid of dry patches. 

The day of my flight I... 

1. Wash my face with the Fresh soy face cleanser
2. Moisturize with Origins Night A Mins (I use night cream in the morning to ensure my face will stay hydrated) 
3. Apply Kiehl's Daily Reviving Concentrate all over my face to calm my skin and keep moisture locked in. 
3. Apply Vaseline to my lips & any dry areas 

That night I... 

1. Wash my face with Ponds Cold Cream Cleanser (also works as makeup remover).
2. Do a stripping charcoal mask to extract any dirt or airport grime from my skin.
3. Moisturize with Eucerin baby skin
4. I use a dermatologist-prescribed treatment for my eye cream, but any hydrating formula will do.

All of these tips are tried and true for me, so I hope they help you! 

Thanks for reading!

-Ashley Ann 



No comments:

Post a Comment