Monday, August 8, 2016

5 Amazing Books



I think that this summer is the most I've ever read. After I got my surgery, I basically did nothing for three weeks! To pass the time, I devoured book after book. I think I'm up to 18 books so far on my summer reading list, so I'll definitely make it to 25 if I keep the same pace. I truly read a whole bunch of fantastic books this summer. Interesting storylines, beautiful writing, suspense... e.t.c. I picked out my five favorites that I gave 5 stars on Goodreads to share with you all here. 

The Singles Game // I always read a bunch of easy, upbeat fiction in the summer. I picked this up simply because I fell in love with the cover in Barnes and Noble... oops. It ended up being such a fascinating book! The author of The Devil Wears Prada wrote this, so I had high hopes- and it lived up to my expectations! The book follows a highly successful tennis player who tries to recreate her image after being deemed too boring and goody goody. She hires a new coach and subsequently falls into a new life of parties, fashion, boys and more tennis. The tennis lingo and game descriptions make this novel 5 stars. I loved how Lauren Weisberger focused not just on the romance but also the harder side to being a professional athlete. Best beach read of the summer! 

Life in Motion // There are certain things that I know I'll never be good at, but love to watch: tennis (see above),  gymnastics,  and... ballet. I think it's an intricate art that is really hard to master- but when someone does, it's spectacular. Misty Copeland is such a force to be reckoned with! Her memoir takes you through her rough childhood and shows how she got to the place she is today (which is principal dancer for the American Ballet Theatre). It's truly amazing that she only started ballet at the age of thirteen and still was able to become a professional dancer. Immediately after I finished the book (which I tore through by the way, it's a quick read), I sat down and watched her documentary on Netflix. It helped put pictures into my head of the things she described in her book! This book will make you happy, sad and everything in between. I would recommend this to everyone- even people who aren't interested in ballet. Even though the topic may not be your thing, the subjects of hard work, family and determination are universal.  

Firefly Lane // Oh, this book. I loved it so much! I remember putting this book on my "to-read" list a long time ago after Carly recommended it on her blog. When I was browsing in Barnes and Nobles for books to read before my surgery, I saw this one on the shelf and randomly decided to get it. I think this is one of my new favorite books. The book follows two best friends throughout both of their lives- from kids to teenagers to adults. You get to see their ups and their downs, life milestones and emotional turmoils. I think the reason why this book resonated with me so much, is because I was able to see a lot of the same topics that were brought up, in my own friendships. The writing is simple, raw and beautiful. This book will definitely make you cry like it did me (literally I was sobbing into my book at the end). Sometimes the simplest stories are the best ones. 
The Silent Sister //  So we're switching gears here a little bit to the more creepy and suspenseful books I've read this summer. I love a good page turner/mystery novel (some of my other favorites: The Ice Twins, The Girl On the Train, What She Knew, Big Little Lies, Gone Girl) and this one did not disappoint. The premise of the story is a woman named Rachel whose father has just died. She is sorting through his affairs one day, when she finds information that suggests her sister (who committed suicide when she was 14) is still alive. It's absolutely crazy, and insane but also I could totally see it happening! I spent the whole book trying to guess what I thought happened, but nothing I predicted ended up being right! Don't you love those types of books? 

The Girls // This book was said by critics to be the novel of the summer. And I don't think they were wrong. I've never read anything like this book. It was unsettling, creepy, sometimes disgusting but also highly addicting and captivating. The main character Evie ends up joining a cult one summer (it's based on Charlie Manson's cult but the names are changed). Although you do get to see what happens within the cult, it's not what you think. A lot of the things are implied, which makes them more troubling. The writing in this book is so hard to describe. It is poetic, psychological, and blunt. Although the novel revolves around a cult, it is actually about so much more: growing up and trying to find yourself even if you are headed in the wrong direction. This book I think is surprisingly relatable. Every young adolescent girl has felt at least one of the things Evie feels, which I think makes the book all the more powerful. I finished it 3 weeks ago, and it has still stayed with me! 

I love sharing about the books I read on this blog, but you can always see what I'm currently reading on my Goodreads profile. I rate books, keep a running list of ones I want to read next, and share what I'm reading at the moment. 

Thanks for reading! 

-Ashley Ann 

No comments:

Post a Comment